Like any first-time mobile home buyer, the road to purchasing your first camper trailer is an exciting one, but it can also be a daunting task trying to navigate unfamiliar terrain as you try to decide which camper is best for you.
To help you on your way to choosing the best camper trailer, here are 5 common mistakes to avoid when shopping for your home away from home.
5 common mistakes to avoid before buying
1. New or used: Know what you’re buying before you sign the dotted line. Like any vehicle, when you buy new as soon as you drive it off the lot, it begins to depreciate. Be 100% certain you’re purchasing the right camper otherwise you’re investing in something that will cost you, in monthly payments and resale. Used trailers, of course, come at a lower price point but the tradeoff is you could be inheriting someone else’s headache.
•Narrow down your search results by knowing the make and model you’re after; then set-up alerts on buying and sell groups so that when the camper you want comes up for sale you get notified.
•Bring along someone who knows campers and/or a mechanic to check over any potential purchase.
•Get the maintenance record of any used camper.
Always have the previous owner show you that the camper is in perfect working order, or alerts you to any known issues.
•Peruse dealerships to learn more about which camper suits your needs, so you can buy the best camper trailer.
2. Research: You don’t just buy a house without doing a walk through first; apply the same logic to buying a camper. Do your due diligence whether you’re buying new or used. Research what you’re buying - recalls, customer satisfaction, reliability - know what you’re getting into to avoid any nasty surprises down the road.
3. Wishlist: One of the most common pitfalls is not knowing what you want out of your camper. You can’t buy a big ticket item without knowing what it is that you need first. How many beds do you require, are you a serious off-roader, do you need a toilet or shower - what comforts do you need for a pleasurable getaway? You don’t want to regret not getting all the amenities on your wishlist, right down to every last detail like having clean laundry. This is when you want to be picky and not compromise as it’ll help narrow down your search field from every camper to a select few.
4. Towing capacity: It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of hunting for a new camper and forget the little things, like do you have a vehicle capable of towing your new toy? Be sure to consult your vehicle owners manual for its tow capacity. Remember also to check to see if your new camper recommends installing any additional parts like a brake controller to your vehicle. All these things add up and should factor into which campers you're considering, especially if you’re shopping on a tight budget.
5. Budget: Buy within your means. Set a financial limit, if necessary, and stick to it, so you don’t become mobile home poor. There’s no need to purchase outside your means. You can still get into a nice camper without breaking the bank. Just remember to be realistic when you’re setting your budgetary limit. Another thing to factor into your budget is financing and interest costs.
Avoid buyer’s remorse and drive away happy
Camper Trailer Australia
You may find yourself getting swept away in the excitement of purchasing your first camper trailer, but buyer beware if you want to drive away a happy camper than heed these five warnings before you buy your first camper!
Address: 23 Loyalty Road North Rocks (3,279.22 mi)
North Rocks 2151